Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Am I Missing Something Here??

I play trumpet for my church orchestra and we are performing an Easter presentation tomorrow and Friday at the new Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center (which is very neat, btw, in case you were wondering) called "The Story... With You in Mind." We are featuring an artist named Charles Billingsly, who previously sang with Newsong, a pretty famous Contemporary Christian artist. He's won some awards and stuff. Hey, after this is over, I'll be able to say that I've performed for something that you can purchase tickets to from Ticketmaster! Anyway (yeah, I love chasing that rabbit...), we have been practicing the past two nights and I'm tired. However, tonight, I got smart and brought the right side of my CPH with me and got to knit some in between songs. One of my (precious few) knitting buddies who plays flute came over excited to tell me that she had brought her knitting also. She is working on a cute little baby sweater for a friend. We discovered that we were both knitters on a mission trip this past summer to Lithuania and hunted down a yarn store. (Tangent(or rabbit, if you prefer)): if you're ever in Lithuania, plan on buying lots of yarn - at least until they begin using the Euro, which I think will begin in 2009 - the lita is .40 to the dollar - makes for very fun shopping!! And they love their knitting. I probably overdid it and would have done more damage if I had come prepared for buying yarn for specific projects... More on Lithuania in another post.)

Anyway, she told me that she has a knitting group that she goes to - I'm going to have to ask her more about this. I think, though, that she's said in the past that it consists of many of her fellow elementary teacher colleagues and I think it may be far away - not sure if I could join in or not. But, I think I've decided that I need to get in a knitting group at some point. I taught myself everything I know about knitting and I'm a pretty strong introvert - two pretty good reasons why I haven't felt the need to be a social knitter. BUT, now that I've gotten on Ravelry, I think that it would be a lot of fun and I can see that I'm missing out. The only problem is that I'm not sure if I'd have much time to devote to it on a consistant basis. There is a neat yarn store not far from my place of work - only about 5 minutes, in fact. They have knitting nights, so I may swing by there sometime and see what that's all about.

On another note and on a completely different subject, I have filled out my brackets for the NCAA tournament. I don't have Clemson going all the way (hey, there are prizes for the most accurate!), but I think that the'll beat at least Villanova and Vanderbilt (optimism). Not too sure about Kansas. I guess we'll have to see how it turns out!

No comments: